Dear Gianni

Exellent summary as far as I am concerned.

My only change would be to revise "The failure of the 'e-learning approach'
to enhance the learning experience" to read, instead: "The realisation that
early expectations of the e-learning approach were totally
unrealistic".  This avoids giving the impression that elearning fails
altogether to enhance learning  - since it clearly does in some ways.

Anita

At 06:43 07/03/2005, Gianni Marconato wrote:
>Apologises for cross-posting
>
>Dear List colleague
>
>Within our group of "learning with technologies" practitioners, we have
>been debating the use of the term "e-learning" to designate the
>educational use of technologies.
>As members of many international mailing lists in the field, we realised
>that the term "e-learning" is now much less  frequently used that it once
>was. We have also noticed that within the titles of journals (printed and
>online), conferences, books and portals the term is disappearing and terms
>such as "learning", "teaching" and "technology" are being employed instead.
>
>What are your thoughts on this phenomenon?
>
>If you agree with our perception of this, what is the cause of this change
>in terminology?
>Our view is as follows.
>-          The failure of the "e-learning approach" to enhance the
>learning experience (to use technologies for delivering contents/learning
>materials; to substitute analogical  teaching/learning tools with digital
>ones) has created the change in terminology;
>-          Within the "community of practice" of the people who use
>technologies to improve the learning outcomes at the individual and the
>educational systems levels, there is a growing awareness of the necessity
>of adopting a more pedagogically-based approach than the
>technologically-based one adopted in the early e-learning era;
>-          To demonstrate a tangible added-value in the use of
>technologies to justify the added-cost, it is necessary to adopt an
>operational model which uses technologies not only in the online/distance
>learning settings, but also in face-to-face learning settings;
>-          The use of technologies to enhance learning does not have to be
>based on the use of costly courseware, but rather on simpler and cheaper
>digital documents (for organising and delivering contents) and on
>communications and collaboration tools not necessarily arranged under the
>form of a complex LMS
>
>Regards
>Gianni Marconato

Anita Pincas, Senior Lecturer,
Lifelong Education and International Development [LEID}
Institute of Education,
20 Bedford Way
University of London
London WC1H 0AL

Tel +44 0207 612 6522
Tel +44 0207-286-5324 {home}
Personal Web page <http://www.ioe.ac.uk/english/Apincas.htm>

Short course: Online Education and Training
Full details and application form:
<http://www.ioe.ac.uk/english/OET.htm>