This is vital point being raised here.  But there seem to be two issues – one is a simple pedagogical point of picking from where a student has arrived in terms of knowledge and skills, one that all lecturers should be addressing, and which is increasingly important as the literacy / numeracy etc of A level students is falling [coupled with the so-called grade inflation of the UCAS points tariff, and the inclusion of AS rather than A2 qualifications].  This is vital to ALL students, not just disabled students

The second is the teaching / learning methods adopted by a lecturer, ranging from some mundane mechanistic points such as not talking to the board with one’s back to the students, providing electronic “handouts” via a website etc through to addressing the language, metaphors, use of jargon etc in order to give a sporting chance to dyslexics and to avoid irritating some other disabilities [eg don’t keep saying “look at ….” to a blind student!].

Lecturers need to constantly be aware of the diversity of students in their audience – this also spills over into race / culture and even religion.

I’d be interested to see your audit tool, Gerard.

Dr John S Conway
Principal Lecturer in Soil Science / Chair, Research Committee
Disability Officer
Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, Glos GL7 6JS
01285 652531 ext 2234  fax 01285 650219
http://www.rac.ac.uk/~john_conway/
email [log in to unmask]