The RNIB are certainly campaigning for 'the same book, at the same price, at the same time'.  This means they want the full unabridged accessible version published at the same time as the standard print one and for the same price.  Currently an unabridged novel in a audio format costs about £60 compared to the average price of a paperback at 7.99, and isn't published until 6-12 months afterwards.  (Also, VAT is payable on audio and electronic books but not on print ones.) It's much much worse for textbooks and other non-fiction, many of which are never produced in anything other than standard print.  The one I mentioned before that the publisher provided cost £50, but was then completely useless.

I'm only at the very early stages of my research, but the little I have done and my own experience of being a visually impaired student and meeting others suggests that most people who can't read standard print do have to have things scanned and then reformatted, be it as electronic plain text, large print, braille, etc.  Its very time consuming and pretty expensive, and even with the best OCR package in the world a lot of careful proofreading is needed to avoid mistakes.  I spent the first year of my sociology degree thinking I was supposed to be studying the 'modem age' as the software had misinterpreted 'modern' in all my textbooks!

Emma Wright
University of Nottingham
School of Sociology and Social Policy