Dear all,

I have a situation with a student and I would appreciate your help.

There is a student who is on the NVQ Level 2 Early Years programme that we run off site. This course is made up of tutorials and assessment at her placement
/ workplace.

This student is partially deaf and also suffers from a lack of short term memory which has not been diagnosed (nothing to do with epilepsy)

Every effort is made in the tutorials to accommodate her disability, with seating arrangements etc, although she does not wear a hearing aid.

There have been several instances where we have had complaints from her placements where she is swearing and so on and they have not allowed her back.

The situation is that at the end of last term, the Head and programme manager (met with the candidate; the
outcome was that we needed a letter from her doctor saying that she was ok to continue on the course and along with that, safely work with children.  I
received a letter saying that she did not have epilepsy and that her memory loss could be attributed to a form of migraine.  I then wrote back to her to
see if her doctor would be able to put something down on paper that gave his assurance that she was fit and well enough to continue on the course.

She found a new placement at the beginning of this term but when the nursery manager called me to confirm that she was on the course she also said that
she wasn't entirely happy with the student's attitude.  I explained that we were waiting on assurance from her doctor that she is fit and well enough to
continue on the course. To cut a long story short, the nursery decided that it is best if she does not continue with them.

I am not sure where we stand in terms of the DDA and what would be the best to support this student.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments are welcome.

If you want You could reply off list at:

Many thanks
Diana Maniati
Disability Advisor
Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College
Gunnersbury Lane
Acton
W3 8EA
Tel: 020 8231 6371