We sell these, and we should really have a page on our web site which
makes the differences between the different pens clearer. You can
however, download part of our catalogue from
http://www.dyslexic.com/downloads/accessibilitytools.pdf which shows all
three possibilities on the same page.

They tend not to be very good for VI - you need to be able to see well
enough to draw the pen along a line moderately accurately.

You would not want to scan large amounts of text with them - a page
scanner is much more convenient for that.

The speech is not really audible until you either hold it up to your ear
or use the earphone, so not a problem in libraries.

There are basically three types of Functionaility:

1)       scan and listen

2)       scan, store and upload to the computer

3)       dictionary look up.

You can get pens which offer different combinations of these.

For dyslexic people who have problems decoding the occasional word, the
Reading Pen and the SuperPen are great in solving the problem - with
dictionary lookup in case hearing the word still does not fully identify
it.

For taking notes and quotes the Quicklink Pen, SuperPen or Reading Pen
with memory extension kit meet the need.

Regards

Ian Litterick

http://www.dyslexic.com <http://www.dyslexic.com/>

http://www.iansyst.co.uk <http://www.iansyst.co.uk/>