Hello

Can anyone tell me how they deal with payments for students who fail to attend appointments with their Dyslexia Tutors? We have been informed by an LEA that students’ DSA will not cover the cost of this and so it must be retrieved from the student.

I am concerned about this because I do not want to deter students from meeting with their tutors, because there maybe a possibility of them incurring a cost. At the same time I do not want to loose the valuable support that we get from our Dyslexia tutors, because of loss of payments from unreliable students.

Our Department has limited funds and cannot afford to keep covering this cost and I am aware that, for a lot of Dyslexic students, short-term memory deficit is an issue that may result in them missing the odd appointment. I do not want them to be disadvantaged because of this, so is there any advice out there that can help us with our dilemma?

Thanks

Mark Wakeham

Dyslexia Support Tutor (UWIC)