From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deb Taylor
Sent: 28 July 2005 11:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Private Landlords and reasonable adjustments

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. one of our hearing impaired students is moving
into private accommodation next academic year. She'll need a vibrating fire
alarm installed.

She's not a BSL user or technically a resident so the council won't install
one for free. The local fire service will do a safety survey of the
building. This costs £60 and the landlord is expected to pay this and then
for any reccomendations such as the fire alarm but also possibly fire doors
and anything else that the survey deems neccessary. Needless to say, the
landlord isn't too happy about this.

As far as I'm aware there is no obligation for landlords to make reasonable
adjustments under the DDA. It's been suggested that the student apply to
the Access to Learning Fund to cover these costs. However, it's not certain
the student would get the money from this.

Has anyone else come accross this type of situation before?

Cheers,
Deb Taylor
University of York

This email is intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain private and confidential information.  If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone.  In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error.  Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free.  This is in keeping with good computing practice.