-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pauline McInnes
Sent: 06 July 2005 16:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Rest Breaks in Exams

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone has come up with a practical solution for the above.
WE quite often recommend to the exams unit on the basis of medical
evidence etc that students should have rest breaks in exams and we
usually say ten minutes an hour, but of course it could be longer than
that.

However, our exams assistants are having trouble policing this.  By rest
breaks we mean, pens down and rest.  It could be they just sit there,
they could lie down or walk around the room.  It's the ones that just
sit and rest that the exams assistants are having most difficulty with.

For example, we don't want to state that students will have rest breaks
every hour on the hour as this may well interrupt their flow of thought
and this doesn't seem fair.

So how do the exams assistants know when the students are taking their
rest breaks or when they are just sitting there thinking about the next
thing to write?

Once again, where a student has a reader or writer its fairly obvious as
they will communicate that they are taking a break.  It's more for the
students who are just having the rest breaks.  Has anyone thought out a
good way to manage this adjustment for students?

Kind regards
Pauline

Pauline McInnes
Disability Co-ordinator