-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pauline McInnes
Sent: 23 June 2005 10:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Bidar case

That's fine, you're the second person that has asked me that.
Basically, a French Student who had been living in the UK with his
grandmother for three years attending secondary school, applied to study
at a London University, this was fine.  He applied for Student Support
and Ealing LEA turned him down stating that because he had been in the
country for three years, but these three years were for education he was
not entitled to the student support that a home student would get.

Basically, the court took his side and stated that under the I think it
was the EC Treaty he should be able to receive student support.  This
will now have major implications for EU students who are seeking
funding, including DSA to study here.  That is, it opens the way for
more EU Nationals to receive funding.  They still have to have lived in
the UK for three years but before they wouldn't get funding if those
three years had been for education purposes.  Post Bidar, it doesn't
matter if their three years in the UK has been for education purposes,
they will be eligible for funding.

Sorry, that's the layman terms, there's probably a much better legal
explanation, but I just tried to read one and as I'm not a lawyer I got
rather lost.

Hope this helps rather than hinders.

Regards
Pauline