From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">R.Fidler
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:39 AM
Subject: Dragon naturally speaking

I recently conducted a DSA needs assessment for a dyslexic student and recommended Dragon; the student had difficulty articulating ideas in a written form, but was able to express herself verbally in a competant manner.  The LEA has responded by saying that "Dragon Naturally Speaking has been deemed unsuitable for students with specific learning difficulties".  I personally find that voice-activated software is only suitable for some dyslexic students, depending upon their weaknesses in writing and their verbal abilities, but a general ruling seems rather strange to me.

I have challenged this, but has anyone else experienced this view or know on what basis it has been suggested.

Regards

Rob Fidler
Univ of Surrey and CELT assessor.