-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of R.Fidler
Sent: 01 June 2005 08:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dragon naturally speaking

I recently conducted a DSA needs assessment for a dyslexic student and
recommended Dragon; the student had difficulty articulating ideas in a
written form, but was able to express herself verbally in a competant
manner.  The LEA has responded by saying that "Dragon Naturally Speaking
has been deemed unsuitable for students with specific learning
difficulties".  I personally find that voice-activated software is only
suitable for some dyslexic students, depending upon their weaknesses in
writing and their verbal abilities, but a general ruling seems rather
strange to me.
I have challenged this, but has anyone else experienced this view or
know on what basis it has been suggested.
Regards
Rob Fidler
Univ of Surrey and CELT assessor.