From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sue McKenna
Sent: 08 May 2005 12:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fw: DSA FOR GERMAN STUDENT

Dear Rachel,

please see below details of recognition of dyslexia in Germany which has come from a friend who is a special needs teacher in Germany:

As far as I know, dyslexia is not recognised in Germany (in the sense that there is no
official provision) but dyscalculia is. I will phone the psychologist we
deal with and get the official line but certainly in class there is no
provision. At most, a child may be offered extra classes after school which
I believe have to be paid for privately.

 I spoke with Siegrun today ( physiologist)and she was astounded that there is
provision for dyslexia in HE ( in UK). In Germany the provision depends very much on
which 'county' the child is from but at most (in Saxony) a few years of
parallel teaching at primary level is offered. In general it is as I
thought - mostly private initiatives. You may find individual organisations
if you search the net but I am almost certain there is no provision at of
the sort which is provided in the UK. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Have you tried to contact the European Dyslexia Association for advice? you can contact them on  European Dyslexia Association.Secretary:  Tel: +361 466 5205
Email: [log in to unmask] Web: www.bedford.ac.uk/eda/index.html
List of books and videos in different languages.
Fax: +44 (0) 1234 261 897 Email: [log in to unmask]

best wishes

Sue McKenna
CELT, University of Southampton
New College, The Avenue