Risk assessments should be used for encouraging independence. And excellent book about this particular area can be  found in Barbara Fawcett 2002 (Disability and Feminism. Andy
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Sue Green
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: fit to study?

Any student here who has a leave of absence on medical grounds has to produce a fit to study note before returning. It's obviously a highly contentious area, as no one can truly predict future episodes. However, we have a duty of care to students, and returning too soon could be detrimental to some.

Sue

Sue Green
Disability Co-ordinator
The University of Birmingham