Sorry if we’ve covered this before, but I am wrestling with my conscience and with the institution over “reasonable adjustments” for students with dyslexia in respect of how we manage extra time, and in particular using a separate room.

For reasons of staff shortage and economy principally, we put all the students in together and the dyslexics stay on afterwards.  Naturally this causes some degree of distraction and loss of concentration, amongst the very students for whom this is often the major problem.

I‘d be very grateful to know what is considered the norm in other universities?  Do you have a separate room for those taking extra time?

Please feel free to contact me off the list.  What I’m hoping for is enough replies to be able to say here “most universities do X”

Dr John S Conway

Principal Lecturer in Soil Science / Chair, Research Committee

Disability Officer

Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, Glos GL7 6JS

01285 652531 ext 2234  fax 01285 650219

http://www.rac.ac.uk/~john_conway/

[log in to unmask]">email