This is an area that I am also very interested in. I agree that we don’t require any other student to prove they are fit to study (apart from on a health related course), so why should this student be required to do so? Also, it would be difficult for a health professional to give an indication that the previous disability would not return. This may be especially so for eating disorder, but is also true for many other health condtions, i.e. a student who self harms as a means to manage their mental health need, may take time off for ill health, as a  result of mental health need. If that student was required to “prove” that they were fit to return to study i.e. in this case, that they would not self harm again, then this would obviously be impossible for a health professional to guarantee. They might be able to make a good guess, but is this really rigorous enough? The same could be said for a student with diabetes, who might become ill again.

It should also be noted that we can’t refuse a student education because they refuse medical assessment or treatment (unless perhaps on a health related course), this is enshrined in law.

The question has to be, does the LEA require ALL students who have been absent due to illness to provide medical evidence that they are fit to return to study, or is it just for students that have a mental health associated disability?

Imogen

Imogen Bowers

Mental Health Adviser

The University of Salford