Our Mac manager, Geoff Best, writes:

The service issue is essentially - send it back to Apple and if they can
repair it they will, but more usually they will send a brand new iPod as
replacement.

The student should be docking the iPod with their computer every few
days to make sure their files are always backed up. It would be unwise
to keep an entire year's work on the iPod (or anywhere), unless backed
up.

iPods are aimed at sports people and an active life style. The risk of
damage from shock is true for all portable devices, including solid
state, albeit there is a higher risk with moving parts and higher
capacity. Again the chance of failure is high for any computer equipment
the longer the course is. (An extended warranty helps and our bundled
all risks insurance policy covers for theft and accidental damage - with
normal limitations -all equipment supplied with a computer, including
iPods, without any extra expense to the student for up to 4 years.)

For Mac users, unfortunately the iRiver does not specify Apple Macintosh
compatibility which makes it unsuitable for Mac students. Minidiscs are
also incompatible with Apple Macintosh which means the choice is either
the iPod or -- for specific voice quality recordings - the Olympus
Digital Voice recorders.

Regards
Ian Litterick
http://www.iansyst.co.uk <http://www.iansyst.co.uk/>