Very interesting paper Iain - can you (or anyone) shed light on the statement made in it that "HEFCE now awards premium funding to institutions on the basis of the number of students receiving the DSA."

Thanks, Joel

________________________________

From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. on behalf of Iain Hood
Sent: Fri 15/04/2005 11:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Support and Retention

As long as you aren't scared off by academics contextualising their work
with references to Bourdieu, the work of Sheila Riddell et al. can provide a
few "Ah-ha" moments when thinking about disability, support and retention.
I'm a bit of a post-Marxist meself, and appreciate their avoidance of
simplification.

A place to start: Riddell, S., Wilson, A and Tinklin, T. (2002) Disability
and the Wider Access Agenda: Supporting Disabled Students in Different
Institutional Contexts. Available online at:
http://www.ces.ed.ac.uk/Disability/Papers/WidePart.pdf. Accessed 14.4.05.

I don't believe there is anything in the Singleton report re:retention.

Withdrawal rates and withdrawal interviews can also, I believe, be
informative (if your institution does such things and collates such
figures).

HTH.

Iain Hood
Senior Student Adviser, Learning Support
Student Support Services
APU
East Road
Cambridge