From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. on behalf of Paul Hubert
Sent: Thu 24/02/2005 18:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Students with mental health difficulties

A data controller must be a "person" i.e. a legal person. This term
comprises not only individuals but also organisations such as companies and
other corporate and unincorporated bodies of persons.

ICO Guidance p16.

Tony, does that help? Otherwise I think we might get into something
impenetrable here. Suffice it to say that if every individual were
separately accountable for data protection (and required to notify), the
Data Protection Act would be an unworkable nightmare. Suppose, for example,
that every individual worker in a Disability Support Unit or a Citizens
Advice Bureau had to have a client's consent before anyone else could see
information about them - how would we manage the document trail?!
(Especially bearing in mind that a case record could be personal data about
the worker as well as the client.) The person who works on the next desk to
you or another building on the same campus may be 'a third party' outside of
work but fortunately the DPA doesn't erect unreasonable hurdles to working
together.

Perhaps if you're not convinced we should do this off-list (unless there's a
hue and cry!)
Paul