If in the course of their day to day duties your staff had to deal with
vision impairment or vision loss in any situation would they know
how to communicate quickly, clearly & unambiguously ?

The chances are you have had, or will have in the near future, a blind or
vision impaired person within your organisation, to get the best out of
the situation and provide equality of service you need to know how to
respond to vision impairment and indeed how the person is likely to react.
With 100’s of different eye defects someone who you think is looking away
from you, may from their viewpoint be looking directly at you.

With over 130 years experience, the RNC probably knows more about
understanding & communicating with people having a vision impairment than
any one else. Our targeted training deals with both the theory and day to
day practice of sight degradation. In addition an optional module can be
added to give practical advice on ‘sighted guide’ assistance. For example,
when leading someone through the building, do you know how to avoid the
risk of injury and stress through uninformed actions or misdirection’s!

The Low Vision module, which is a mixture of theory and practical, aims to
raise an awareness and understanding of the problems associated with
vision and the ways in which they may be alleviated. The course covers
symptoms, perception, low and distorted vision, the effect that a reduced
field of vision may have on ability, problems associated with low vision
and how to understand and deal with the functional effects of visual
impairment. Basically - how far can they see, what do they see and how
does this affect the way in which they function. It is intended to give
all staff a clear insight into low vision problems. This module can be
delivered as a half or full day course, including if requested, the
sighted guide training module within the full day course.

The Sighted Guide module covers the correct method of guiding, assisting
or escorting a person with a visual impairment.

These training modules can be carried out either here in Hereford or at
any of your own locations. We find that to achieve the best results groups
are best kept to a maximum of 15 delegates per session. Our fees and
charges are simple and straightforward:

Low vision module    £450.00 half day or £750.00 full
day
Low vision & sighted guide  £750.00 full day

In addition, if we carry out training on your premises we charge for
travelling costs and if necessary, overnight accommodation.

Call 01432 265725 or email
Iris Corfield [log in to unmask]   or Chris Stevenson [log in to unmask]

Royal National College for the Blind
Hereford HR1 1EB