From: Bryan Jones
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 21/12/05 10:41
Subject: Re: Medical Evidence

The DfES guidance is for medical evidence which should "ideally" explain
how the student is affected. Which no one would argue with.  A GP letter
stating simply "Asthma" (which one can get) is no good on it's own
without it going on to state how their patient is affected by that
condition (e.g cannot walk more than 12 foot without getting
breathless).  How those affects are likely to impinge on the students
studies is for the Assessors / DO to sort out, in discussion with the
student and perhaps others relevant to the situation.

Perhaps Calderdale should be asked to reference what DfES guidance they
are using.

Bryan Jones,
Manager, Disability Support Services
& North London Regional Access Centre,