Hi

Interesting debate, as with many areas of disability related issues the good intentions of one person can appear unreasonable or inappropriate to others - I think the medical letter is a great idea although I can see Ian's point entirely. But, doctors are often asked to comment on people's ability to work - e.g. if they are off sick and cannot return to work, so I would assume the doctor takes into account the type of job someone was doing before writing a blanket letter saying they are not fit enough to resume employment? Couldn't this knowledge be applied in a broad way to a patient's education?

Talking to the student is first and foremost the most important part of the process, but rather than typing in the disability on Google and trying to figure out other ways in which the disability might effect the student in a in educational setting, wouldn't it be better to try and get some additional information from the doctor - based on a combination of their medical expertise and their knowledge of their patient's particular needs?

I just think it is worth a try. If 90% of doctors refuse to comment, fine, for the 10% that fill it in - the student will no doubt benefit in some small way.

As with all e mails I want to emphasise this e mail is not in anyway aggressive in tone - sometimes the feelings behind an e mail can  be misinterpreted by the recipient, I know I have misinterpreted many in the past!!

Kind regards, Paul Smyth (DO Richmond College)

---- Message from [log in to unmask]">"Ian F." <[log in to unmask]> at 2005-12-20 02:38:06 ------

Hi
Just reviewing the discussion on medical evidence. I still think the doctor
should not be asked to speculate on the potential impact the condition might
have on participation in education. Without access to full information about
e.g. the nature of the course, previous strategies the student might have
used etc, the doctor will have to speculate rather than provide fully
informed comments.

The evidence should detail the nature of the condition, relevant medical
history and current management details.

I do think the doctor should be asked to give details on the
treatment/management regime e.g. medication type, dosage, frequency. I also
find it helps when GPs give some information on the possible side-effects of
medication in general terms e.g. sedation, concentration problems, etc.

Ian Francis