Commercial interest warning!

You could, of course choose to use the extended version of Claro Read Plus,
which includes the same engine as Omnipage, or TextHelp Gold, which
includes the same engine as Ffyne Reader. If you have a need for spell
checking and text to speech then these combined products offer ease of use
and better value than do the separate products.

Jeff

In your message regarding Re: Optical Character Recognition software - Dell
all-in-one printers? dated Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:42:10 +0000, BERNARD DOHERTY
said that ...

> It really depends what kind of work you are intending to use it for: the
> 5590 is a really good scanner and the ADF function is extremely
> labout-saving if you are dealing with whole books (clue: it costs around
> £250).  Multi-function machines work, but tend to be slower and the results
> of lesser quality.  Bundled software if almost never the full program and
> can be virtually unrecognisable in terms of functionality.
>
>  Assuming you already have a printer, I would by a full version of an OCR
> program.  My preference is for Omnipage Pro, but that maybe a result of
> familiarity: set-up is very important in terms of how fast and accurately
> OCR takes place and neither program is particularly intuitive when you get
> into the nuts and bolts of defining output.
>
>  Regards, Bernard
>

> Jonathon WHITE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>       I am looking to purchase OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
> software for use with an HP Scanjet 5590 flatbed scanner with ADF
> (Automatic Document Feed). The software will be used to convert printed
> text  into electronic (editable) text in order to make it available in
> alternative formats, such as a larger font size/type. I have been
> recommended Abbyy ‘FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition’
> (http://www.abbyy.co.uk/products/index.htm) which costs £93.99 inc VAT.
> However, a colleague has alerted me to the fact that Dell (www.dell.co.uk)
> sell four different “all-in-one printers”, each including Abbyy FineReader,
> from £81 incl VAT and delivery. I contacted Dell, who did not know the
> version number of the software, but it would appear to be cheaper to buy a
> new scanner with the bundled software than the software on its own. I would
> appreciate your opinions.
>
>  Many thanks
>
>  Jonathan

> 		  Win a Yahoo! Vespa NEW - Yahoo! Cars has 3 Vespa LX125s to be won Enter
> Now!

Jeff Hughes, Chartered Educational Psychologist
Special Needs Computing/Hughes & Co,  Box42 Ltd
Email: [log in to unmask] Web: http://www.box42.com