Hi

(Apologies if this arrives twice - I'm having some difficulty posting to this list)

The 'travel' costs arising in this case would be covered by Non Medical Helpers' Allowance, not Extra Travel Costs.  I 'd have no problem with the principle of using NMH allowance in this way - but the costs in this case would be rather high and probably couldn't be fully covered by the DSA, especially if DSA is covering notetaking etc, too.  However - I'd be a little concerned about the wisdom of commuting from Gloucester to London to attend a course given the student's apparent range of difficulties.  It seems odd that someone who is
'fairly settled where he is' is willing to put himself through what many would regard as a tortuous 3 days-a-week regime in order to be somewhere else.

If funding (from whatever source) is appropriate in this case, would it also be appropriate in the case of a Penzance student studying at Lancaster (I'm thinking chartered private plane!)?  ;-)

Regards

Peter Hill

Sebastian Beaumont wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hello there

I'm interested by your (or presumably the student's LEA's) assertion that
'the DSA does not cover travel costs for this support worker person'.

When I worked for an LEA, we had a similar case, and we paid the travel
costs for a carer to accompany the student on the train each day.

Page 13 of Bridging the Gap clearly refers to 'extra travel costs to attend
your university'.  If a student would not be able to attend university
unless someone accompanied them on public transport, then the cost of that
person would come under 'extra travel costs' and should be claimed via DSA.

Of course we did not pay the travel costs of the student, as he would have
had to pay this anyway.

I hope this is helpful.

Sebastian Beaumont
Learning Support Officer