Dear Clara
It depends on whether the placement is paid or unpaid and length of time.  See
p 5 of Bridging The Gap.  If the placement is paid, then the student and his/her
employer should be looking at Access to Work and also The Shaw Trust.
I have had experience of the employer paying for dyslexia tuition for an
engineering student on placement.  Also the DSA has paid for equipment upgrade
for students during placement year as the equipment would still be needed when
the student returns for final year.

Kate

Kate Dresser
Disability and Dyslexia Service
Student Support Centre
Cardiff University
50 Park Place
Cardiff CF10 3AT
029 2087 4528

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/08/05 17:53:14 >>>
Hello All,

Has anybody had much experience supporting disabled students
on sandwich years that they'd be willing to share?

We have a blind student wanting to do an optional 36 week long full
time placement, paid or unpaid.  We are looking for clues as to
how to go about supporting him, will he still be eligible for DSA,
should he apply for Access to work etc?

If anyone has experiences or advice they'd be willing to share,
either off or on the forum, it would be much appreciated.

many thanks
Clara

Clara Hall
University of Greenwich
Disability and Dyslexia Adviser/Administrator
tel.020 8331 7875, fax.020 8331 7862
Queen Mary Court
Maritime Greenwich Campus
Old Royal Naval College