I'd say:

Your institution should have a budget!

1. They should, as Loretto notes, have money for general access
improvements and

2. They should have thought how they will fund adjustments that are not
covered by the DSA (for students who are ineligible for DSA and for those
whose funding is exhausted.)

You cannot use "I don't have a budget" as a blanket reason for not making
all adjustments. Someone in your Institution must be taking responsibility
for this?

ATB

Claire

--On 31 January 2005 11:19 +0000 "O'Callaghan, Loretto M J"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> (i) Is there no money in your core funding?
>
> (ii) Has your institution undertaken an access audit of your site(s)?  If
> so are there recommendations regarding special accommodation
> requirements?   If so how does your College priroitise monies as there
> should be some Government funding towards ensuring DDA compliance?
> Check the above within your College.
>
> Best wishes, Loretto
>

>  From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Callaghan, Brigid S Sent:
> 31 January 2005 10:46
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Adjustment to campus accommodation.
>

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We would appreciate your advice on the following matter:
>
> We have a student who needs a major adjustment to campus accommodation (
> a hoist and a track). Social Services have asked us to consider at least
> contributing to the cost of the hoist, track and building work  that will
> be required, as they say they don't have a budget and to find the money
> will take them ages. There is actually already a track and hoist in the
> student's room, but social services and student have found it does not
> meet the student's needs. We want the matter resolved ASAP for the sake
> of the student, but wondered what our responsibilities under the law is,
> as we don't have a budget either. Any thoughts, help, suggestions,
> solutions............. Would be great!!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Brigid Callaghan
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Brigid Callaghan
> Senior Disability Adviser
> University of Essex
> Wivenhoe Park
> Colchester
> C04 3SQ
> 01206 87 3260
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> This email may contain information about a student. If it does, please be
> aware; it is sensitive personal data and should only be disclosed to
> those who need it to do their job. The University are legally bound to
> hold it securely and treat it in confidence and it should never be sent
> outside the University without the knowledge or consent of the
> individual.
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

----------------------
Claire Wickham,
Director: Centre for Access and Communication Studies
University of Bristol
Union Building
Queen's Road
Clifton