	From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. on behalf of Peter Hill
	Sent: Mon 27/06/2005 17:56
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking in other languages

	Hi

	If the student doesn't have the software, then he/she will surely use a dictionary anyway (and be EXPECTED to use one for coursework etc).  The issue, I guess, is whether the student has access to the software during exams.  I don't have the answer to that one, I'm afraid.

	Regards

	Peter

	Bryan Jones wrote:

		There is nothing to prevent a student on a language programme from buying Dragon themselves, how could you stop them?  Does that affect academic standards?  Most, if not all, students from the traditional 18-21 year old middleclass backgrounds will take a computer to university these days, so it's not much a leap, it's not that expensive in the scheme of things.  So if other students can have access to VR, if they want it, and mum and dad will buy it for them and if there is a disability related reason for a student to be recommended VR through DSA, why not.

		Bryan Jones
		North London Regional Access Centre
		Middlesex University
		020 8411 5366