-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of M Phillips
Sent: 03 October 2005 15:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Loaning Equipment

We have a similar system at Cardiff and have the same issues as you.  An
additional problem is that students sometimes specifically want to borrow a
laptop for use with some of the assistive software we have recommended but
we
currently do not have the full range of assistive software installed on all
our
loan equipment.  In these cases we may potentially have loaned equipment to
somebody who only reqires a laptop and not necessarily the assistive softwar
installed on it and the software is therefore not used to its full
potential.
Is there a standard suite of software you make available on loan euipment?

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/10/2005 11:23 >>>
Hi all,

I just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this.

We have a loan equipment system in place where by we loan (disabled)
students equipment (anything from recording devices to laptops and input
devices) that are awaiting their DSA funding and/or equipment.  Loans are
normally short term but there is no limit to the loan time, if the student
requires a laptop and recording device for the academic year then they can
have one.

I am curious to find out if other Universities who also have a loan scheme
in place have any kind of priority system running too?  We have around 50
items of equipment that are loaned out very quickly once the semester
starts.  Demand for them is high and we occasionally have a student request
for a piece of equipment and do not have one in stock.  Luckily we have
managed to get round this ok as something has been returned shortly after
but I am worried one day it may cause a problem and we have to turn a
student down.

We've been looking at linking the loan system in to the library loan system
so there is a 'formal' record of the loan, and more importantly, the return!
I'd be very grateful for any feedback or discussion on similar setups at
other Universities.

Many thanks

Tim Cunningham

--

Disabilities Support Technician

Student Services

Northumbria University

0797 497 2954

http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/disabilities
<http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/disabilities>

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====