-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jonathan petch
Sent: 02 June 2005 13:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Concessions for language students with dyslexia

I was wondering what thoughts anyone has about the
following:

We have a dyslexic student who is studying French; part of the course
requirement for the student is to study grammar and translate text into
English incorporating grammar. In the student's Needs Assessment it
recommended sympathetic allowances for grammar mistakes and oversight.
Obviously this applies to English language in everyday usage for
assignments/exams. However, as grammar forms an intrinsic part of the
language module and degree (if for example the student were to go into
translating texts it would prove vital), any concessions made would be
counterproductive of the purpose for which they took the degree.

So my gut feeling is that no concessions should be made. However this does
not tackle the issues that usage of grammar for dyslexic students is an area
of difficulty, and to ignore this would put the student at a disadvantage.
I've racked my brain and can't think of an alternative mode of
assessment....at the end of the day grammar is grammar and can only be
learned and examined by practice.
Has any one come across this before? Have concessions for the grammar of
other language degrees been granted and if so on what grounds, providing
what alternatives of assessment?

Many thanks

Jon Petch
Disability Advisor