From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alice Gilkes [AIU LDN S. Services Staff]
Sent: 15 November 2005 14:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A service from scratch

Hi there,

I have recently assumed the responsibilities of  Disabilities Coordinator. Up until now our Counselling services have had the responsibility of assisting any students with disabilities  at this University.

I am currently reviewing the system/ service for disabilities within our institution. Plus I am learning on the job with new and old students to support. I would be grateful if you could advise me on the following.

Training - where is the best place to get training and find out what I need to know to do my job well and of course within the law.

Resources - students who need assessments.
General Guidelines - There are a lot of areas to cover having some basic guidelines would initially be a great help.
Policy - I need to review our Universities policy to best accommodate the students who are currently here and those who are applying.

Or if their is anything that you think might be helpful to someone like me then I would be grateful.

Thanks very much and I look forward to receiving replies from my very first DIS email.

Regards

Alice

Alice Gilkes
Sports and Cultural Activities Coordinator
American InterContinental University
110 Marylebone High Street
London W1U 4RY

Telephone 44 (0) 20 7467 5632