Here are the Commission's approved contracts. One for transfer to processor, one to transfer to controller, and the most recent done by the business community for transfer to controllers.
 http://europa.eu.int/comm/justice_home/fsj/privacy/modelcontracts/index_en..htm

I have found that in data protection, the European Commission seems to have some authority. Fog in Channel, Europe cut off.

Charles A. Prescott
Vice President, International Business
   Development & Government Affairs
Direct Marketing Association
1120 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036
U.S.A.
Tel. +1-212-790-1552
Fax. +1-212-790-1499
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> Tim Trent <[log in to unmask]> 06/10/05 05:20 AM >>>
Thanks.  I think the issue that is not easy to find, or is perhaps never
stated, is the issue of whom must the contracts be between.

While it is clear that they must be between each and every Data Controller
who wishes to export and receive data (thus in a large corporation every
entity to every other entity), showing a board of directors this information
and expecting them to grasp the impossibly unwieldy nature of it is hard in
the extreme.

It gets harder when the US HQ says "Who cares?  We have Safe Harbor!"
forgetting about transfers to (eg) their Cape Town operation in their global
CRM system

And statements from Citibank in the Herald Tribune this morning (well,
reported to me form Paris this morning) about organisations not bothering to
protect data unless mandated (I am still searching for the exact quote)
really do not help at all!

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP
http://www.marketingimprovement.com

Important: This mail contains proprietary information some or all of which
may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify
the author by replying to this email. if you are not the intended recipient
you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email.
If you are not the named recipient please notify us immediately.  This email
and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free, but it is the
responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks. This
email and any attachments to it are copyright of Marketing Improvement
Limited unless otherwise stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction
in whole or in part may only be undertaken with the express permission, in
writing, of Marketing Improvement Limited.