From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
Sent: 01 June 2005 09:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] spam and email lists (and adverts)

I suppose it could be said I am as guilty as (if not more than) anyone in
this matter and you could say I have a vested interest in this missive.  My
take on it is that the question has been asked several times over the past
few years and the outcome is always the same - a single advert for a product
or service related to the list's topic is okay.  As the list agreed this on
several occasions it is unlikely any breach of any Act is occurring - the
soft opt in or implied consent is likely to cover it.

I doubt that the incidence of junk e-mails on the board is so bad that
people will want to stop reading the messages, the pearls of wisdom we get
far outweigh any slight inconvenience of having to press the delete key on
occasion.

As many of you already know the number of adverts I will be placing from now
on will be very few - maybe just one more towards the end of summer.  A
closing down sale advert.  We are packing it in, giving up the ghost and
moving to warmer climes before the end of this year.

I have enjoyed our conversations, jokes and occasional spats and I guess
I'll occasionally look at the JISC site from sunny Crete.

In the meantime, if anyone wants any on-site training you have only about
three months to secure my services - please get in touch quickly.  Yes it's
a sneaky advert, and why not?

Oh, and if you need a low mileage 1999 Nissan QX with the number plate T999
DPA (see, even that has a link to the board's topic) you can have it for
£4000 o.n.o.

Ian B

Ian Buckland
Managing Director
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information given above does not replace or negate the need
for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is essential that you do
not rely upon any advice given without contacting your solicitor.  If you
need further explanation of any points raised please contact Keep I.T. Legal
Ltd at the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP
(Reg 3822335)
Tel: 01246 473999
Fax: 01246 470742
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.keepitlegal.co.uk

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner