It may be worth noting that the act contains a transitional element which
gives organisations time to change to compliant processing.

-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gwenan Owen
Sent: 09 May 2005 10:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] A Monday morning question

Colleagues

I've been asked this morning by one of our academic members of staff how
do I know that the Data Protection Act 1998 is a retrospective act ...

He maintains that legislation is not retrospective unless specific
provision is contained within the Act making it so, and that my
ascertion that the Act IS retrospective without proof means that I am
committing a breach of faith for those members of University staff who
produced references (on paper) etc. before the Act came into being.

Whilst I'm sure that I'm right, and have had a look through the Act this
morning to try and find the relevant section ... I just can't find
chapter and verse to quote. I would be most grateful if anyone could
help me out!

Thanks
Gwenan

Gwenan Owen

Rheolwr Cofnodion y Brifysgol/University Records Manager,
Gwasanaeth Llyfrgell, Archifau a Rheoli Cofnodion/
Library, Archives and Records Management Service
Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth/Information Services,
Prifysgol Cymru, Bangor/University of Wales, Bangor,
Ffordd y Coleg/College Road,
Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2DG, UK

ffôn/tel: (01248) 38 2413
ffacs/fax: (01248) 38 8194

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com