I understand  that every UK university has received the request (below)
for details of the business expenses of VCs & PVCs for the past 5 years.
Before responding to this, I was wondering what others views about it
were and what their proposed course of action was?
Apologies if our FoI Officer has already asked but she is away at the
moment.
Gail Waters

The Times Higher Education Supplement
                                        Admiral House
                                        66-68 East Smithfield
                                        London E1W 1BX

                                1.04.2005

Dear Freedom of Information Officer,

REQUEST UNDER THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT

Please provide me with figures, broken down for each of the last five
academic years, ending 2003-04, for the total amount of business
expenses incurred in each of the five years by (per named individual):

        a)      the vice chancellor/principal/chief executive officer

        b)      all/any deputy vice chancellors

        c)      all/any pro vice chancellors

While this information could be argued to be exempt as personal data,
the Information Commissioner has made clear that he would expect the
information to be released under the FoI Act. The ICO Awareness Guidance
1 on personal data (www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk) states: "While
it would be wrong to disclose bank account details of staff it would be
unlikely to be unfair to publish details of expenses incurred in the
course of official business... while the information clearly does
related to staff personally, there is a strong pubic interest in
provision of information about how a public authority spends public
money."

I expect a response, under the terms of the FoI Act, within 20 days of
Monday's data (4.04.2005), which will be Friday 29th of April, 2005)

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner