Some of you might have seen an article in "Bio-Science Law Review"
authored by Dr Kathleen Liddell of Cambridge University's Faculty of
Law, who argues that most privacy practitioners, including the
Information Commissioner, have misinterpreted the requirement in the
Data Protection Act (DPA) which obliges personal data to be processed
"lawfully". The small change in interpretation which the author
proposes, if it were to be sustained by a court, would be hugely
significant for medical research.

I have also added to the legal analysis agenda, a discussion on Smith v
Lloyds TSB: Case re Relevant Filing System

Just to say, I have added this article to our UPDATE session day agenda
(London - Monday April 11, Manchester April 18 and Glasgow April 25).
Details from me, and I will send you a word document.

Revised agenda:

AGENDA

1.      Data Protection Review: ID Cards, Children's Act, Police Code of
Practice on Information Sharing (following Bichard); Parliamentary
update
2.      Law Session (Durant update; MDU v Johnson, and others)
3.      FOI and the private sector - threat or opportunity ?
4.      FOI and release of personal data - what are the pitfalls ?
5.      Part IV Employment Code
6.      Draft Re-use Regulations - what do they mean for the
public/private sector ?
7.      Recent cases from the ASA (Marketing) involving privacy concerns
8.      Data Protection Panel  - An opportunity for the audience to
raise issues
9.      Close

Note: Pinsent Masons may change the agenda to include any important and
topical data protection issue which arises after the date of printing
but before the meeting.

Dr. C.N.M. Pounder
Consultant & Editor of Data Protection & Privacy Practice
Pinsent Masons
International Law Firm
Outsourcing & Technology Group
Post-mail: 30 Aylesbury Street, London EC1R 0ER, UK
DDI: +44(0)20 7490 6605
Fax: +44(0)20 7490 2545
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

www.pinsentmasons.com
www.out-law.com

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please do not use or publish its contents, contact Pinsent Masons immediately on +44 (0)20 7418 7000 then delete it. Contracts cannot be concluded with us nor service effected by email. Pinsent Masons may monitor traffic data. Further information about us is available at www.pinsentmasons.com.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl, a service from BlackSpider Technologies.

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner