-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Trent
Sent: 23 March 2005 09:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Passing on official details

It seems to me that one needs to look at three things here.  One is
"Fairness" and the other is "Privilege".  One also needs to look at the
status of the person passing the personal data.

In a grievance case it is meet and right for the aggrieved party to be
able to prepare that case, with relevant people's witness details being
passed to the "person" who is assisting with that preparation.  Those
people do have a total right to privacy and it would be a natural
expectation that their details would not be passed further except in the
preparation of the grievance.  It is thus fair to pass their details on.

If the party to whom the data is passed can be determined to have some
form of privileged status in this transaction one can be "assured" of
the further privacy of the data.

If the person who is pursuing the grievance as the aggrieved party is
simply an individual himself or herself the I feel this already falls
outside the scope of the DPA.  It is not a business passing that data
but an individual.
There is a human requirement for courtesy, but not a legal one for
confidentiality.

Unless, of course, the list knows differently :)

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP http://www.marketingimprovement.com

This message is for the intended addressee's use only. It may contain
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission.
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the
sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.