Burns, Margaret on Monday, February 14, 2005 at 4:14 PM said:-

> When a tenant calls us and tells us they are leaving their
> premises, we ask them for the name of the new tenant, we then
> send them an e-mail explaining that we are their supplier and
> asking them to contact ourselves.  If they do not contact us
> to either accept us as their new supplier or to say they
> don't wish us to be their supplier, we set up an account with
> the details we have and bill them up to date.

Using such a method is in many cases very likely to result in the unexpected
commercially orientated e-mail being spam filtered as a scam and so not
being read; especially with all the matters arising during the early stages
of moving into a new house. (Are service suppliers considering e-mail
advertising?)

> As we continue to supply electricity to the property even
> after the previous tenant has moved out, if we do not follow
> this process the new tenant would receive free electricity.

That seems a strange statement when you consider that any new supplier must
contact the old to arrange transfer, and at that time some data exchange is
possible/takes place. (i.e. meter reading at the time the new tenant move
in.) As mentioned in one of the other e-mails in this thread it is your
choice if you continue to supply an empty property when a tenant moves.
(What happens if the heating is accidentally left switched on?)

> One of our customer has put in a complaint regarding this,
> does anyone have any thoughts.

Having experience of the protective mechanisms used in the commercial
rivalry between service suppliers from a customers perspective, the question
arises is the described methodology aimed at providing information to a
potential customer, retaining the billing for the property, or protecting
the supplier. Any inappropriate approach would seem bound to generate some
complaints.

Ian W