Physical ownership should be distinguished from copyright ownership.  If I
write a letter to you, then copyright remains mine, but physical ownership
is yours - so, for example, I cannot insist that you return the letter to
me, but I can insist that you don't  make multiple copies of it.  So the
author does not "retain ownership".

s50 does not mean copyright is suspended, rather there is no infringement if
a copy is made under the requirements of another enactment.  Copyright in
the document remains with the copyright owner.

A letter sent from one individual to another does not necessarily come
within the terms of the Data Protection Act - to so so, it must come under
the definition of "personal data", e.g., it must be organised in such a way
that the contents can be easily retrieved.

I'm no expert on confidential information, but I suspect in order for the
contents of a letter  to be deemed confidential, it must be marked
"confidential" or similar.  I do know that  a letter that  contains only
trivial or vague information, information that is in the public domain or
information that is obvious cannot be protected as confidential, nor can a
letter where there is no pre-existing relationship between sender and
recipient - so if I send a letter to a stranger revealing in the letter
something that would  under other circumstances be considered confidential,
the stranger has no duty to respect that.

All in all, things are rather messier than they first appear.

Charles

PS If the sculpture is in a permanent public place, such as a park or
outside a building, it does not enjoy copyright and so the photographer is
free to photograph it.  If it is not on permanent public display, then the
photographer has infringed the sculptor's copyright.  The person who
photographs the photograph is almost certainly infringing the copyright of
the photographer  and possibly is infringing the copyright of the sculptor
(if it wasn't on permanent public display originally).

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Department of Information Science
Loughborough University
Loughborough