Roland Perry on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 11:36 AM said:-

> When you are buying a house, and negotiating the deal, it can
> be very handy to have this information, especially if the
> previous owner hasn't been there that long. They often don't
> appreciate having their "profit margin" so easily exposed,
> which is quite easy to do as their market has much stabler
> prices than over here, typically varying between +/- 5%
> inflation a year depending on area, and economic conditions.

The legitimating 'purpose' being an engagement with the owner in purchasing
the property.

Unlike the system described, where if you scale the principle of open access
up, anybody would be able to legitimately write to the land registry
requesting details of all properties where a mortgage was held by 'X' when
that mortgage was issued between specified dates.

Legitimate FOI request; or processing in excess of the delegated powers of
the Land Registry?

Ian W