A bit of a bleakoutlook, but perhaps all too true. There has for some time been a problem in this country with law enforcement. Successive governements have always relied on the punishment to deter would-be wrong doers (witness the calls for ever longer sentences for whatever crime is flavour of the month with the tabloids), rather than reaching the obvious conclusion that it is not so much fear of punishment that provides a deterrent, but the fear of being caught. And given the abysmal clear up rates that our police have (be that due to too few bobbies on the beat, over reliance on speed cameras or CCTV or whatever it may be), that fear of being caught has, I think, never been lower.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues on behalf of Lawrence Serewicz
	Sent: Thu 02/06/2005 10:34
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: [data-protection] Opinions sought - Planning Applications

	I realise that I may be naive, but am I the only one who is concerned that
	objectors fear for their safety? I realise that disputes between
	neighbours can become "problematic", but these are disputes. The parties
	know each other and each has equal access to the law to protect their
	interests, including personal safety.

	If an objector needs to remain anonymous because they fear consequences,
	what does this tell us about the state of law enforcement and the ability
	to act freely and equally in society? Again, I may be naive, but this also
	suggests that democracy, the open debate of issues and the due process of
	the law, are weaker on the ground than we imagine.  When witnesses and
	objectors can be intimidated, where is the law?  Such behaviour suggests
	that might makes right or in the words of Thucydides "The strong do as
	they will, the weak do as they must. "

	How can we talk of "data protection" when we cannot even assure "physical
	protection"?

	My view is that the information should be public, on the web, so that both
	sides of an issue can know where they stand.  If I cannot put my name to
	an objection, then why am I objecting?  If I cannot object without fear of
	consequences, why do we have a planning process?

	Yes, I may want to know about a swimming pool being built in China, if I
	live in the US and my property in China is next to the property proposing
	the swimming pool.  Do I have to make the 18 hour journey to the planning
	office to read the document?

	Lawrence Serewicz

	Lawrence W. Serewicz
	Scrutiny Manager