Tim Turner on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 12:08 PM said:-

> It should not be part of a customer facing role to get abuse from
> members of
> the public, whether a staff member is pregnant or not. Non-pregnant staff
> members still have a right to be warned about / protected from potential
> abuse.

Quite right, they also have a right to be told accurate information which is
pertinent to circumstances they may be in.

> I wouldn't personally put my name on a letter telling a man who had
> threatened a colleague with a chainsaw that information about his
> chainsaw-wielding activities was going to be available to staff who needed
> to know. I would expect him to be annoyed at the organisation in general,
> and at the author in particular. Though it is very difficult for
> a person to
> find out who I am purely through having my name, in this hypothetical
> example, I don't see why I should take the chance. I wouldn't, in
> fact, send
> the letter in the first place. I think it should be Chainsaw Man's
> reasonable expectation that a warning about his actions would be
> circulated
> to staff likely to come into contact with him. It's the chance he
> takes when
> he picks up the chainsaw.

If chainsaw man picked up the chainsaw to use it in an appropriate manner,
at an inappropriate time he would not necessarily expect to be secretly
placed on a violent persons register.

Perceptions form opinions, and opinions rather than facts can sometimes form
the basis of violent person markers.  Should any organisation not question
the opinions upon which it bases actions?

At the end of the day I suppose it is easier to secretly place people on
such a list rather than question the opinion of a member of staff, and then
potentially disregard it.

Required notification methods can have many organisational advantages.

Ian W