>You will find that EVERY such event creates idiots.  Decent folk are then
taken in because they try to do the decent thing.  Part of terrorism is the
way it allows us to become afraid of normality.

Indeed. I'm usually quite savvy with these hoaxes but I must admit, this did
seem plausible (although I don't expect the Met would ever advise people
against using the tube or other such infrastructure - they'd have to close
it if there was such a huge risk).

>I feel you may all have seen this url already, but
http://www.lnreview.co.uk/news/005167.php is the attitude I have been
explaining to my non British friends around the world.

I haven't, until now. Very succinct I feel. One thing I would add, not
currently living in the south east, I feel the statement applies to the
whole of the UK.

>This was an incident.  We have had worse in the past and doubtless will
have worse in the future.  It created local shock, horror, outrage, death
and injury.  My heart goes out to those harmed physically or emotionally and
those they love and those who love them.  But I am  damned if I am going to
let this lot change the way I live my life.  The IRA never managed and this
lot are no different.

Agreed. I'm not scared of the terrorists, they don't worry me in the
slightest. In actual fact, I haven't been to London for over a year but I'm
coming down next weekend to see some friends and will make a point of
spending as much time and money in the capital as I can. Screw them. That
said, the government, on the other hand worry me, not because of their
intentions with the legislation - but with where it could (albeit unlikely)
lead in the future in a national crisis.

>Kudos to Chris for his actions.  If it had been genuine we would be
thanking him roundly.

Indeed.

Carl

PS.. I'll not post more on the subject as I feel this may go way off topic
and we all hate that!