While it is perfectly reasonable for member Relations to do precisely that,
there is no scope for "handling  this outside the act", because the act
tends not to allow that kind of thing.

It really depends on how you are interpreting the SAR.  If they have sent
their fee or couched it in DPA 1998 terms, then you very much need to handle
it in accordance with the act.  But it could be argued that a pleasant
approach from member relations may defuse any potential complaint.

A practical suggestion is to work WITH Member Relations in order to ensure
that your existing policies and procedures are followed.  I am kind of
assuming you have a procedure for SAR handling

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP
http://www.marketingimprovement.com

Important: This mail contains proprietary information some or all of which
may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify
the author by replying to this email. if you are not the intended recipient
you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email.
If you are not the named recipient please notify us immediately.  This email
and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free, but it is the
responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks. This
email and any attachments to it are copyright of Marketing Improvement
Limited unless otherwise stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction
in whole or in part may only be undertaken with the express permission, in
writing, of Marketing Improvement Limited.