Can I ask, is it lawful to ask a data subject requesting a SAR why they want it?
I thought it was unlawful.
What is confusing me is when we clarify what the person is looking by perhaps
asking "what exactly are you looking for?", does that not in effect give some
light on why the person wants it?

Does this make sense?

Thanks

_______________________________
Clementine Amawo
Information Management Officer / Data Protection Officer (IT)
Circle 33 Housing Group
1 - 7 Corsica Street, London, N5 1JG
DL - 0207 288 4131
www.circle33.org

>>> Donald Henderson <[log in to unmask]> 28/06/2005 16:41:51 >>>
The Act simply says "in writing" so I don't see why email is not
acceptable (given the current understanding of a request under FOI).
Obviously you may wish to clarify what the person is looking for and you
may need to get them to establish their identity, but the basic request
seems valid to me.

Donald Henderson
Information Compliance Manager
Perth & Kinross Council