We need to remember to bear in mind that, despite an individual's right to
privacy, we have an overriding duty of care to everyone.  Even if the
student demands that the information is kept confidential, if to do so
could prejudice his or anyone else's health or safety then we must disclose.

Remember British Gas and the elderly couple who refused to let British Gas
tell Social Care that their gas supply was to be cut off?  They died as a
result.  British Gas were critisised by the court and the Information
Commissioner for not disclosing their situation to the authorities, despite
their refusal to 'consent' to disclosure.  I think the Commissioner's
argument was that disclosure was necessary in order to process information
in their 'vital interests' and as such their consent was not necessary.

Ken

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner