Dear John,

I am working on a statement on student use of personal data for the
Scottish Higher Education Information Practitioners Group.

In your scenario the university is not the data controller because when a
student undertakes a course of study with the university they do so for
their own personal purposes (most obviously to obtain a qualification).
The student is not an employee or agent of the university and does not act
on behalf of the university.  The student decides what work he will do, the
way in which he will do it and what he will include in his final write up.
He must make these decisions himself in order to prove that he is capable
of degree-level work.  Thus the university cannot be the data controller
for the personal data processed by the student in the course of his studies.

The university will become the data controller for the personal data
contained in the write up once it is submitted for assessment, because from
that point the University will be processing it for its own purposes (for
example to determine what grade the university should award the student).

I am interested that you have discounted the s.36 domestic purposes
exemption.  I would be interested in your reasons.

The situation is different for research students who process personal data
whilst working on a project led by a university research group.  In this
case the university is the data controller because it decides the remit of
the project, not the student.

Anne