Hi to all,

I am sorry for not responding to a particular message and changing the thread.

First, yes *perhaps* bad form from the organisers to inform/spam groups about their
conference.  (The message will be spam to those who do not want it but can be
relevant information to others).

Second, bad form to criticise a conference as not being relevant to this group.

Third.  Before we get to it, it is not a matter of voting (every time we don't like
something).

The conference is relevant to this group (unless the conference itself is comptele and
total ****) because:

a. it is an academic community newsgroup hosted withing the academic network
ACADEMIC being the significant word here.

b. unlike other lists which have the word admin in them, this list does not which means it
can discuss matters in an academic as well as in an applied manner (assuming that
those outside think that academics are never interested in applied matters and live in
ivory towers).

c. conferences are a necessary step for young academics/researchers to get their
research careers going and for established academics to give a *performance*.

d. The list DOES have academic members of staff who may be here because of a
genuine interest in DP or because they have to perform DP functions in their jobs or ....
etc.

For the blinkered (or is it applied) persons who think such a message is not relevant,
here is a go at putting an academic helmet on.

****  Not limited!!!  Not difficult to understand.

> - Accessibility

AKA in the UK as legislation.  Relevant to anyone with an interest in legislative web
matters and DP is very much part ot such matters.

> - Adaptive Web Systems
> - Collaboration
> - Computer-Mediated Communication
> - Data Mining
> - Database Planning and Development
> - Digital Economy
> - Digital Libraries and E-Publishing
> - Distributed and Parallel Applications
> - E-Business and E-Commerce
> - E-Government

Relevant to DP.  Throw ID cards in the pot too.

> - E-Learning
> - Electronic Data Interchange

Relevant to DP!

> - Quality, Evaluation and Assessment

Relevant to DP!

> - Extensible Languages
> - Global Tendencies in WWW/Internet
> - Groupware

Relevant to DP!

> - Human Computer Interaction
> - Hypermedia
> - Information Architectures
> - Information Visualization
> - Intelligent Agents
> - Interfaces
> - Internet & Customer Relationship Management

Combine with e-government.  Relevant to DP!

> - Internet Payment Systems

Relevant to DP!

> - Internet Services
> - Languages
> - Metadata
> - Multimedia
> - Performance Issues
> - Personalized Web Sites and Services
> - Portal strategies
> - Protocols and Standards
> - Searching and Browsing
> - Security Issues

A little relevant to DP!!!!!!!

> - Semantic Web
> - Social & Legal Issues

Relevant to DP!

> - Storage Issues
> - System Integration
> - Teaching and Learning Strategies
> - Technology Innovation and Competitiveness
> - Technology Management
> - Technology Strategies
> - Tele-Work

Relevant to DP!!!!

> - WWW/Internet Applications
> - WWW/Internet Case studies
> - WWW/Internet Impacts
> - Web Engineering
> - Web Personalization
> - Web Software
> - Wireless Applications
> - Ubiquitous Computing
> - Usability
> - User Modelling
> - Virtual Communities
> - Virtual Reality
> - XML

Right?  Clear enough?  If you can't see the relevance of the above points to DP don't
bother asking me how I see it.  Life is too short.

As far as Natalia Reis is concerned she is probably a secretary or a junior
administrator.

I said my bit.

Regards
Charles

--
Charles Christacopoulos, Management Information Officer,
Planning & Information, University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 4HN,

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner