When I had my garden remodelled a couple of years ago, the manager of the
skip hire firm told me that I could complain about people putting things in
the skip as I was paying the hire / removal fee.

But that I couldn't do anything about people removing items - as I
had 'rejected' contents by throwing into a skip on a public highway but the
contents didn't 'belong' to him until he took it away!

He said 'ownership' & 'theft' of skip contents was a legal grey area and
advised me not to put any items of personal identification in the skip.

So I assume it depends where the dumpster / bin / skip is located, whether
its an offence to remove items? My local authority requires wheelie bins to
be left on the pavement and doesn't empty if left in back yards. As
collection in my street takes place between 07:30 and 08:00 most of us put
them out the night before - glad I invested in a shredder!

Kirsty E Gray
Access to Information Advisor
Commission for Social Care Inspection

Note: comments for discussion and debate only and do not necessarily
reflect the corporate position of CSCI nor constitute legal advice.

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner