In message
<[log in to unmask]>, at
10:22:40 on Tue, 15 Feb 2005, "Smith, Tony"
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Under what law is the owner responsible? As far as I am aware the only
>responsibility is with the person that has signed a contract with the
>utilities company (although there is the [doubtful] argument that
>"beneficial users" may be responsible). As far as I am aware, there is
>no law saying that an owner is responsible.

I don't remember ever signing a contract with a utility (other than BT,
although they apparently gave up asking new customers to return a signed
form four or five years ago). You simply get a bill addressed to "The
Occupier" and do the rest by phone.

The utility companies expect to bill someone (given that they don't come
round and cut off the supply), and the landlord is the only person
around. Although the last one I spoke to seemed to think they regularly
wrote off small amounts in these circumstances.

To get back to the normal constituency of this list, as far as I can
tell Council Tax reverts to the landlord during periods of non-letting.
--
Roland Perry

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner