Hi Matthew.

I know at Lancaster University they have had a
"first-year lecture" (the reason I know is that I
delivered one of them). This is a one-hour lecture
delivered to 150 first-year students. The students
also had seminar time in small groups. However, I'm
not sure that the staff found this to be a more
economical way of teaching, as I think they may be
doing something else next year. The person to ask
about this is George Green.

In my opinion, the best thing we can all do to
alleviate the intensity of Creative Writing teaching
is to push for HEFCE funding in Band C. Currently,
some courses are funded that way but many are funded
in the lower D band. The lower band does not recognize
the need for small classes, lots of tutorials,
visiting writers, etc. If all of us put in for Band C
funding, it seems to me that it will be more difficult
for HEFCE to justify its position.

As for your query about AHRC funding, I attended a
workshop in March and asked some of these very
questions. The folks at AHRC assured me that they were
very sympathetic to the positions of artists and
writers. There's a lengthy news item in the current
Writing in Education that addresses some of this. If
you get stuck with your application, I'd contact the
council directly and ask for guidance.

Hope this helps.
Kathy Flann
Course Leader for Creative Writing