On Tuesday 23 August 2005 15:21, Ian Chivers wrote:
> Steve Lionel and Erik Schnetter
> Have both raised threads as a method
> Of achieving parallel code.
>
> I'll gladly add this if people can provide me with details
> Of compilers that do this.

Like MPI, threads are outside the scope of the compiler.  In both cases,
one has to modify the source code to achieve parallelism.  OpenMP and
HPF annotate the source code, so that a compiler can take the annotated
source, ignore the annotations, and compile it as serial code.  This is
not possible with MPI or threads.

Since MPI and threads are implemented as libraries, they work with every
compiler.  They are on a rather low level.  HPF and OpenMP are, in a
way, language extensions that are translated into MPI or threads by the
compiler.

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <[log in to unmask]>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/